Mobile devices have become an integral part of our daily lives, and with the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, the need for following security measures and installing mobile security apps has never been more important.
According to a report by Statista, mobile malware attacks have increased by 2.8 billion globally in the past year. With that in mind, it’s essential to have the right tools to protect your device from potential threats.
In this blog post, we’ll introduce you to 6 mobile apps that can enhance your device security and help keep your personal information safe.
Please note that none of the applications mentioned in this blog are sponsored. The recommendations are based on user experience and developer-claimed functionalities.
Fing is a free network scanning app that helps you discover devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network that you are connected to. It will help you track down malicious or unauthorized network intruders and uncover any connected device’s IP/MAC Address. It automatically alerts you when new devices access your network.
- Fing scans a network and detects all connected devices, including smartphones, tablets, laptops, and IoT devices.
- It can perform a deep scan of the network to identify all IP addresses, MAC addresses, and device names.
- Fing can create a visual map of the network, showing the location and connectivity of all devices.
- It can scan for open ports and services on the devices connected to the network, which can help identify security vulnerabilities.
- The app allows users to remotely wake up a device that supports Wake-on-LAN.
- It can perform a speed test on a network to check for internet speed, download and upload speed.
Get Fing on:
2. Brave Browser:
Looking for a faster, more secure browsing experience? Brave Browser is one of the apps which delivers just that. It blocks out a wide range of trackers, pop-ups, ads, and malware.
It only lets you browse HTTPS (Secure HTTP for encrypted data traffic) for an additional layer of security. It also blocks 3rd party cookies and privatizes data by storing browsing activity on the user device only.
It integrates DuckDuckGo, which creates a privacy-focused browsing environment and therefore restricts any IP or User information from being stored. Moreover, Brave claims to retain battery and optimize battery savings better compared to other mobile browsers.
Get Brave on:
Did you know that most applications have the liberty to make use of the user-granted permissions even when that app is not in use? So, let’s say you have given a certain social media app access to your location. Provided you have granted the right permissions; it will be able to know your location even if you are not using the app.
Bouncer helps you stay abreast of all the app permissions and grants you more control over what the applications on your device are able to do and when they are able to do it. Although this app isn’t free, it could well be worth it.
It allows the user to grant app permissions whenever necessary and revoke the permissions whenever the app is not in use. It logs all the activity and notifies you of apps that could be draining your battery, and also alerts you when an app maliciously tries to sell off data to a third party.
Unfortunately, this app isn’t available on the Apple App Store yet. So, iOS users won’t be able to enjoy its features.
Get Bouncer on:Andriod
1Password is the password manager that remembers all the passwords and keeps them safe and secure behind the 1password that only you know. It’s a software application that is used to store and manage passwords securely. These apps often use encryption and other security measures to protect the stored information, and they may also include features such as password generation, password sharing, and two-factor authentication.
- Create strong, unique passwords for all your online accounts
- Fill usernames and passwords into websites and apps
- Access your information on all your mobile devices and computers
- Share passwords securely with your family or company
- Unlock with a single tap using Fingerprint Unlock
1Password is more than a password manager: It’s an ideal place for storing financial information, personal documents, or everything else that you need to keep secure and accessible.
- Store information in different categories: login credentials, notes, addresses, driver licence, credit cards, bank accounts, passports, and more
- Create multiple vaults to keep different areas of your life separate
- Organize your information with favorites
- Use search to find and filter your information
5. Google Authenticator:
Google Authenticator helps generate 2-Step Verification codes on your phone. A 2-Step Verification is used for securing your Google Account by adding another verification step in your sign in. In addition to your password, you may require a captcha, or a code generated by the Google Authenticator app on your phone to log-in to the application.
Find out more about 2-Step Verification: https://g.co/2step
1. Generate verification codes without a data connection
2. Google Authenticator works with many providers and accounts
3. Dark theme is available
4. Automatic setup via QR code
5. Transfer accounts between devices via QR code
6. Find My Device:
The above apps would help you to a great extent in preventing remotely-executed cyber attacks. But what if your device itself gets lost or, even worse, stolen?
The Google Find My Device and the Apple Find My iPhone are applications available on Andriod and iOS respectively, which help its users to find their devices through location tracking or remotely lock it.
Suppose by any unfortunate event your personal device gets stolen. In that case, these apps can help you wipe the data on that device by accessing your account via another device and allowing you to erase the stolen device using an
Andriod Device Manager.
Get: Find my iPhone
These apps have been carefully selected based on their features and effectiveness in protecting your device from common security threats. Whether you’re looking for an app that can help you track your device if it’s lost or stolen or one that can protect your device from malware and phishing attacks, we’ve got you covered.
If you are a mobile application developer looking to enhance your application security, avail a state-of-the-art mobile application security assessment from Payatu, which encapsulates various test cases while securing your application. Get your application secured today.
Payatu is a Research Focused, CERT-In impaneled Cybersecurity Consulting company specializing in security assessments of IoT product ecosystems, Web applications & Networks with a proven track record of securing applications and infrastructure for customers across 20+ countries.
Get in touch with us. Click on the get started button below.